There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
4 cups water
1 cup grits, packaged or bulk stone-ground
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
About 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups fish, seafood or chicken stock
Green onions for garnish
1. Bring water to boil; a little at a time, whisk or stir in grits. For packaged grits, follow cooking directions. For bulk stone-ground grits, reduced heat to low and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until nearly done.
2. Whisk in butter; when melted, gradually whisk in cheese. When cheese is melted and grits are smooth and thickened, remove from heat; cover and set aside.
3. Toss shrimp with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
4. In heavy skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until it begins to brown. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until onion begins to soften.
5. Stir in flour a little at a time and cook for several minutes. Stir in stock, gradually at first, and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes longer.
6. Add seasoned shrimp to skillet, increase heat to medium-high and cook until shrimp just start to turn pink. Turn off the heat and set aside.
7. To serve, mound creamy grits on serving platter and spoon shrimp around or on top. Garnish with green onions.
Nutrition analysis based on using reduced sodium chicken stock.
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Kennedy.