Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1. Place cornmeal and salt in large bowl. While stirring, slowly add boiling water; when blended, blend in milk until batter is smooth.
2. Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter in large heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat; when butter just begins to bubble but not brown, spoon or ladle batter into pan to make ten 3 to 4-inch rounds (pan should not be crowded, so make two batches if necessary).
3. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until cakes are lightly browned on underside and edges are just starting to crisp. Turn and cook until browned on second side, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
4. Top half of cakes with cheese and set remaining cakes on top. Cook for another minute or two until cheese is melted. Transfer to plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
5. Repeat with any remaining batter and cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Kennedy.