Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
2 (8 1/2-ounce) packages corn muffin mix
6 slices white bread, cut into cubes
12 ounces turkey or pork bulk sausage
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup frozen corn
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 (4-ounce) cans whole green chiles, drained and cut lengthwise into quarters
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated & divided (about 2 cups)
4 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
4 cups reduced fat (2%) milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Make corn muffins according to package directions; let cool. Crumble muffins into large bowl and stir in bread cubes; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. In large skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onion and corn; cook until sausage is browned, about 5 minutes, breaking it up with spoon. Drain well. Stir in cumin, oregano and garlic powder. Add sausage mixture to cornbread mixture, tossing to blend.
4. Coat 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and arrange chiles in dish. Top with beans and half of cheese. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly over cheese and set aside.
5. In large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining cheese, salt and pepper. Slowly pour milk mixture over cornbread mixture.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro.