There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/4 pounds 93% lean ground beef
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 teaspoons mild or hot chili powder
1 (16-ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup mild tomato salsa
6 corn tortillas, cut into wedges, divided
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated & lightly packed (about 1 cup)
1. Place oven rack in lower middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
3. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Push mixture to side of skillet; tilt pan so fat drains to opposite side and spoon off.
4. Stir in beans, tomatoes with juice and salsa. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
5. Spread half of beef mixture in 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Arrange half of tortilla wedges over beef mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layers.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and pie is heated through. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.