i made this corn bread this evening to serve with Fisherman's Soup, and the recipe is absolutely perfect. My husband and I couldn't get over the moist, cheesy, chewy, outrageously rich flavor. This would wow any company you share it with ! on 02/08/2012
1 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup stone-ground yellow corn meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
1 cup milk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt. Stir in cheese.
3. In another smaller bowl, thoroughly whisk together milk, egg and melted butter.
4. When oven is hot, put oil in 9-inch or 10-inch cast-iron skillet or glass pie plate; place in oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
5. Remove skillet or pie plate from oven. Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients just until no traces of dry ingredients remain. Spread batter evenly in hot skillet or pie plate.
6. Return to oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until corn bread is golden on top and skewer or knife inserted in center comes out clean.