Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
delicious!!! depending on the size of your tomatoes, you might end up with some extra stuffing material, but it can be refrigerated and used again the next day! on 10/18/2010
4 large ripe tomatoes
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 4 slices firm white bread)
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Extra Sharp Cheddar*, grated (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter shallow baking dish large enough to hold 8 tomato halves.
2. Pull off stems and cut tomatoes in half crosswise. With teaspoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Lightly salt interiors and set upside-down on paper towels to drain.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Increase heat to medium-high, add bread crumbs and continue stirring until crumbs are golden, about 5 minutes longer.
5. Transfer crumb mixture to bowl and stir in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into tomato halves and set in prepared dish.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and filling is lightly browned on top.
*To vary the flavor, substitute Cabot Tomato Basil or Garlic & Herb Cheddar.