Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
I picked up this recipes at the recent Chesapeake Wine Festival at the Cabot Cheese booth. I was pleasantly surprised on how easy this was to make. This Cranberry Apple Cabot Cheese Strudel is awesome, and my family is requesting that I make this for Thanksgiving Dinner. The best part is that the recipe makes two - one for us and one to share with my neighbors. on 11/22/2010
6 cups sliced tart apples
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
3/4 cup ground almonds or filberts (hazelnuts)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup trans-fat-free margarine, melted
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen filo dough, thawed
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar, very thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease baking sheet and set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine apples, cranberry sauce, almonds or filberts, sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest; set aside.
3. In medium skillet over medium heat, combine 1/4 cup of melted margarine and breadcrumbs; cook, stirring, until breadcrumbs are lightly browned; transfer to plate to cool.
4. To make first strudel, place sheet of filo on kitchen towel and brush with some of remaining melted margarine. Top with 4 more sheets of filo, brushing each with more margarine.
5. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of breadcrumbs evenly over layered filo. Top with one-fourth of cheese slices.
6. Top cheese with 5 more layers of margarine-brushed filo.
7. Two inches in from short edge of fillo, spoon half of apple mixture in 3-inch-wide strip. Top with another one-fourth of cheese slices.
8. Using towel to help, roll filo tightly up around filling (jelly-roll style), brushing exposed bare surface of dough with additional margarine as you roll.
9. Use towel again to transfer strudel to prepared baking sheet. Brush top of strudel with more margarine and sprinkle with 2 more tablespoons breadcrumbs.
10. Repeat entire procedure to make second strudel. Transfer seam-side-down to prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until nicely browned. Serve warm.