This was a fun recipe to make and it turned out perfect -- ours looked just like the picture! We did add a few veggie toppings though to round it out - gotta have your veggies! NOTE: don't forget to allot for time for the dough to rise. on 10/18/2010
*Nutrition analysis for Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar.
Garlic Olive Oil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh thyme sprigs, lightly packed
8 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar, grated* (about 2 cups)
To make garlic-thyme oil:
1. In small saucepan, combine oil and thyme. Submerge thyme sprigs in oil and place over medium heat until thyme is sizzling throughout. Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and let stand for about 2 hours.
2. Pour oil through strainer into small jar, pressing any remaining oil out of solids. Cover and refrigerate until needed or up to 10 days.
To make flatbread:
1. In bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook, combine warm water and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand until yeast is dissolved and foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add 3 cups of flour, oil and salt; knead mixture on medium speed for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed if dough doesn't clean side of bowl (it will still be slightly sticky).
3. Add cheese and knead for about 1 minute longer until well mixed in.
4. (Alternatively, make dough in food processor, kneading in cheese by hand at end, or make entirely by hand, kneading for 8 to 10 minutes.)
5. Place dough in oiled bowl, turning to coat, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled in volume, 1 to 2 hours. (If you don't wish to use all of dough immediately, you may refrigerate part of it for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months; bring back to room temperature before shaping and baking.)
6. Preheat gas grill to medium-high.
7. Punch down dough and divide into 4 equal pieces. Press each piece into approximate 10-inch round. Brush top of each round with some of garlic oil.
8. Place rounds oiled-side-down on grill and cook until browned on underside, 2 to 4 minutes. Brush tops with additional garlic-thyme oil, turn rounds over with tongs and cook until browned on second side and cooked through to center, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
9. Remove to cutting board. Drizzle with any remaining garlic-thyme oil, cut into pieces and serve.
Nutrition Analysis per Flatbread
Calories 669, Total Fat 26.5g, Saturated Fat 11.5g, Sodium 1530mg, Carbohydrates 82g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 25.5g, Calcium 422mg
Nutrition Analysis per 1 Tbsp Garlic-Thyme Oil
Calories 120, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 0mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 0g, Calcium 7mg