Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1 medium onion, sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
2 shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
2 cups Arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
6-7 cups hot chicken stock
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Cabot 3 Year Cheddar grated (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme and oregano
8 ounces grilled or sautéed chicken, cut into julienne
8 ounces fresh spinach, grilled or sautéed until wilted
1. In medium skillet over medium heat, combine onions, olive oil and sugar. Cook, stirring often, and lowering heat as liquid cooks away, until onion is tender and deeply golden brown (caramelized); set aside.
2. In heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Add rice and stir for a minute or two until “milky” in appearance. Add wine and stir until it has mostly cooked away.
4. Add one cup of hot stock and cook, stirring often, until it is nearly all absorbed. Continue adding stock one cup at a time, letting it be absorbed each time and adjusting heat to maintain gentle simmer.
5. When rice has absorbed enough stock to be creamy and tender but still slightly firm in center (this should take about 20 minutes), stir in cheese and herbs. Stir in chicken and reserved onions.
6. To serve, place spinach around edge of shallow bowls and spoon risotto in center.