CABOT, Vt. (February 18, 2009) – “You’ll be the star of the show when you serve your Awards Party guests these great recipes,” says Cabot chef of staff (and movie maven) Jon Ashton. “And you don’t have to go through a big Hollywood production to make these tasty treats. They’re all easy-to-make and delicious, because each features “The World’s Best Cheddar” from Cabot Creamery Cooperative.
Your guests at your viewing party this weekend will feel like they’ve made the Red Carpet A-List – and you’ll feel like Best Cook in a Starring Role when your serve them any of these tasty treats from Cabot: Habanero Cheddar Straws, Broccoli-Cheddar Tarts, Mini Cheddar-Bacon Burgers (with Chipotle Aioli topping), Turkey-Black Olive Chili in Tortilla Cups, and Lobster Salad on Endive. All delicious, and all made with delicious Cabot Cheddar Cheese.
Habanero Cheddar Straws
Makes about 4 dozen straws
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed and unfolded
6 ounces Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar, finely grated (about 1 1/2 cups, lightly packed)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water
1. Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick spray.
2. On lightly floured work surface, use rolling pin to lengthen puff pasty sheet to about 18 inches.
3. In small bowl, toss together cheese and cumin. Lightly brush sheet with some of beaten egg. Sprinkle evenly with half of cheese.
4. Top pastry with large sheet of plastic wrap, and press surface lightly to embed cheese in pastry. Invert pastry and plastic wrap. Brush new surface with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Pick up one short side of pastry and fold lengthwise in thirds, like a letter. Discard plastic wrap. Lightly dust top and bottom of strip with flour. With rolling pin, lengthen strip to about 18 inches.
6. Cut strip crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. Arrange strips 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets, twisting twice before placing on sheet and pressing lightly to keep from untwisting.
7. Bake in upper third of oven for 12 to 18 minutes or until well browned and crisp, watching carefully toward the end. Let cool, then store in airtight container for up to 2 days. Recrisp in 350°F oven before serving if desired.
Calories 35, Total Fat 2.5g, Saturated Fat 1g, Sodium 50mg, Carbohydrates 2g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 1g, Calcium 20mg
Makes about 20 hors d’oeuvres
1 (10-oz) package frozen chopped broccoli
4 ounces cream cheese, cold from refrigerator
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp, Extra Sharp or Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
2 green onions, sliced
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) package prepared pie crusts (2 crusts)
1. Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Place frozen broccoli in medium microwave-safe bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave until hot and tender, about 9 minutes (do not add any water).
3. Uncover and add cream cheese; stir until cheese is softened and completely blended with broccoli. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
4. Add cheddar, green onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper; stir until combined.
5. Unroll one pie crust and place on large ungreased baking sheet. Place broccoli mixture in center, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge.
6. Moisten bare edge of crust with water. Top with second crust and press edges together with tines of fork to seal. Prick design in top crust, or make cut-outs with small cutter.
7. Bake tart for 12 to 18 minutes or until nicely browned on top and underside. Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into about 20 wedges. Serve warm.
Calories 140, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4.5g, Sodium 190mg, Carbohydrates 11g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 3g, Calcium 150mg
Mini Cheddar-Bacon Burgers (with Chipotle Aioli topping)
Makes 24 hors d’oeuvres
1 pound ground beef (round or chuck)
4 ounces Seriously Sharp, Extra Sharp or Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
12 slices packaged “already-cooked” bacon, cut in half
6 hot dog rolls
Arugula or watercress leaves (optional)
Chipotle Aioli (see recipe)
1. Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F.
2. In large bowl, combine beef and cheddar; scatter salt and pepper over top. Gently work mixture together until well combined.
3. Divide mixture into quarters and shape each quarter into six (1 1/4-inch) balls, for a total of 24 balls.
4. Wrap each ball in a half slice bacon, pressing into patty shape. Arrange patties on large baking sheet.
5. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until cooked through to center. Loosen from baking sheet with spatula.
6. Cut each roll crosswise into 4 sections to make mini-buns. Place some arugula or watercress in each, topped with mini-burger and small dollop of Chipotle Aioli.
Makes 2/3 cup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper or chipotle hot sauce
1. In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Calories 120, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 190mg, Carbohydrates 6g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 7g, Calcium 40mg
Turkey-Black Olive Chili in Tortilla Cups
Makes about 48 hors d’oeuvres
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoons mild or hot chili powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced olives, drained and chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
12 corn tortillas
Mini muffin pans
4 ounces Cabot Sharp, Extra Sharp or Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
To make chili:
1. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon, until thoroughly cooked with no juices remaining.
2. Stir in chili powder, garlic and cumin and cook for about 30 seconds longer.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, olives, thyme and oregano and bring to simmer; cook for about 1 minute, then remove from heat. (Chili can be made up to 4 days in advance and reheated in microwave just before serving.)
To make tortilla cups:
1. Preheat oven 400°F. Wrap 3 tortillas in damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds or until softened.
2. Cut each tortilla into quarters. Cut a slit from rounded edge of each quarter halfway to center to help shaping and press each quarter into mini muffin cup.
3. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until colored and crisped. Let cool in cups.
4. Repeat with remaining tortillas. (Tortilla cups can be made up to 4 days in advance and stored in airtight container until ready to serve.)
To assemble hors d’oeuvres:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Fill each tortilla cup with about 2 teaspoons of warm filling and top with some of cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Calories 45, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat .5g, Sodium 70mg, Carbohydrates 4g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 3g, Calcium 40mg
Lobster Salad on Endive
Makes about 24 hors d’oeuvres
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
8 ounces fresh cooked lobster, crabmeat or shrimp, finely diced
4 ounces Cabot Monterey Jack, finely grated (about 1 cup)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
24 leaves Belgian endive (about 2 heads)
Smoked paprika for garnish (optional)
1. In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add lobster, crabmeat or shrimp and cheese; toss together and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. Spoon about 1 tablespoon salad in each endive leaf. Sprinkle with smoked paprika if using and arrange on platter.
Calories 40, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1g, Sodium 65mg, Carbohydrates 1g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 3g, Calcium 40mg
In addition to these six recipes, Cabot’s website (www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes) offers hundreds of delicious recipes that are perfect for every occasion from the farm family owners of Cabot Creamery, the Vermont-based dairy cooperative best know as makers of “The World’s Best Cheddar.”
ABOUT CABOT CHEESE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Best known as makers of “The World’s Best Cheddar,” Cabot is owned by 1200 dairy farm families located through New England and upstate New York. For additional information on Cabot Creamery, visit www.cabotcheese.coop
Help Cabot® Make It BIG… GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS® BIG For Food Bank For New York CityCabot® Creamery Sets New Guinness World Records® Achievement for World's Largest SmoothieCabot Creamery Cooperative Announces April's Reward Volunteer 3.0 WinnersCabot® Creamery Cooperative Announces 5-Day 'Running for Health' Menu PlannerApril
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Returns to LA for the 11th Annual Grilled Cheese InvitationalGiving Time During National Volunteer Month with Reward Volunteers 3.0March
Celebrating National Nutrition Month by Cutting Calories and Boosting FlavorCelebrate ‘The Luck Of The Irish’ with Fabulous Beer and Cheddar Pairings from Cabot® Creamery CooperativeCabot Creamery Cooperative to 'Reward Volunteers' Again in 2013February
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces November Reward Volunteers 2.0 WinnersMake Entertaining 'Light' This Holiday Season with Cabot Creamery's Delicious Light CheddarsNovember
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces October Reward Volunteers 2.0 WinnersTurkey Again? Yes, Please!October
Agri-Mark Honored as 2012 'Business of Distinction' by New York Dairy of Distinction OrganizationNew Benefit to "World's Best Cheddar": Cabot Creamery Cooperative Achieves B Corp CertificationCabot Creamery is "Golden" at "Summer Olympics" for CheeseCabot Creamery Cooperative to 'Reward Volunteers' Again with GustoJuly
2012 Community Tour Grand Finale Comes to Portland, Maine on Saturday July 7Cabot Creamery Cooperative Celebrates the United Nation's International Year of Cooperatives in Portland on July 7thReward Volunteers Mobile App Users Across the Nation Log Over 40,000 Hours of Community ServiceThe 2012 Cabot Community Tour Concludes with Huge Celebration in Portland, MaineJune
Just One More Round to Go! Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces the Latest Round of Reward Volunteers WinnersSpartanburg, SC Eigth-Grader wins Cabot® Creamery Cooperative's Poetry ContestMay
Cabot Creamery Cooperative® Announces 2012 Community TourWe're Halfway There! Reward Volunteers Round Three Winner Announced by Cabot CreameryApril
Cabot® Creamery Cooperative is headed west for the 10th Annual Grilled Cheese InvitationalCabot® Creamery Cooperative creates ‘The Healthy Kitchen Helper’Cabot® Vermont Cheddar Named ‘World’s Best’Vermont's Blue Spruce Farm Wins National Award for Dairy Farm SustainabilityHere's A Super St. Paddy's Day Secret...Luck is Amplified By Doing Good!February
Make Your Holidays Ring with Farmer-Inspired Recipes From Cabot Creamery CooperativeAdd Some Flavor to Your Hanukkah Latkes This YearNovember
November is American Diabetes Month - Take Control of Your Diet with a 5-Day Menu Planner from Cabot Creamery CooperativeCabot Creamery Cooperative Spreads Holiday Joy with Farmer-Inspired Thanksgiving Day RecipesOctober
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Celebrates National S'mores Day with Classic Cheddar S'mores RecipeMake Back-to-School Easy by Planning Meals in AdvanceCabot Creamery Continues Legacy of Awards at American Cheese Society CompetitionJuly
SAY Soccer Partners With Cabot Creamery Cooperative To Provide Players, Parents With A Healthy Snack OptionJune
Father's Day Has Special Meaning on the Farm and in the Kitchen for Cabot Creamery DadsDeclare Your Independence - Add Some Fireworks to Your Fourth of July Recipes From Cabot Creamery CooperativeMay
Cabot Puts the Focus on National Women's Health Week and Celiac Awareness Month with Smart Recipes & Healthy IdeasApril
Write Your Own Haiku for National Grilled Cheese Month Win Great Cheddar CheeseCabot Releases 'OU Kosher for Passover' Sharp Cheddar Just in Time for the HolidayMarch
The Way To A Healthy Diet? Take It One Day At A TimeCabot Aged Cheddar is Seriously the Nation's BestJanuary
The Flavors Of HanukkahA New Take on New Year's Eve Parties'Lighten' Up With Delicious Cabot Winter Solstice RecipesNovember
Something Wickedly Delicious This Way ComesWinners of Cabot Creamery Cooperative's 'Feel Good Family Recipes' Contest AnnouncedSeptember
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Earns Four Blue Ribbons at American Cheese Society CompetitionDad's Got A Bun In The Oven, TooGain Yardage - Not Inches! Kick Off the Tailgate Sason with a Trim WaistCabot Creamery and Chef John Folse & Company Set Guinness World Record for Largest Mac & CheeseAugust
APRIL IS NATIONAL GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH MONTH!'FOURTH TRIMESTER' IS A CRITICAL TIME FOR NEW MOMS AND MOMS-TO-BEMarch
American Dietetic Association's National Nutrition Month® Helps You Focus On Healthy Eating All Year AroundCabot Clothbound Cheddar Honored As World's BestA Wee Bite O' The IrishPassover Meal Preparation Requires Time and Careful PlanningFebruary
Make Valentine's A Day-Long Day To RememberWinners Announced in Cabot® Creamery Cooperative's 'Butter Up The World' Poetry ContestJanuary
EATING WELL IS EASY AS A SUMMER BREEZE WHILE CAMPING, HIKING OR TOURING, WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEJuly
MAKE YOUR JULY 4TH CELEBRATION POP LIKE FIREWORKS WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEJune
CELEBRATE CINCO de MAYO IN STYLE WITH FESTIVE RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEWHAT DOES MOM WANT FOR MOTHER'S DAY? FOR STARTERS, BREAKFAST IN BED FEATURING DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVECABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE'S 'VERMONT TO VEGAS' ONLINE HEALTH AND FITNESS CHALLENGE IS A VIRTUAL BLASTGET OUTDOORS AND GRILL WITH MOUTH-WATERING RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEMarch
NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH 2009TAKE THE GUESSWORK OUT OF PASSOVER MEAL PREPARATION WITH CABOT'S KOSHER SHARP CHEDDARFebruary
FEAST YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR - FOR LESS THAN $10CELEBRATE OSCAR NIGHT WITH THE CHEDDAR THAT RECENTLY WON THE OSCAR FOR TASTE AT THE U.S. CHEESE MAKERS COMPETITIONCABOT KOSHER CHEESE LINE EXPANDINGJanuary
CABOT HONORED FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS TO EDUCATIONCABOT® INTRODUCES 50% REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR WITH OMEGA-3 DHAAugust
PREPARING TO SEND YOUR CHILDREN OFF TO SCHOOL? HEALTHY BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND SNACK IDEAS FROM CABOT® CAN CONTRIBUTE TO A BETTER, MORE PRODUCTIVE SCHOOL YEARJuly
GO FOR THE GREAT-TASTE GOLD WITH CABOT® CHEESE OLYMPIC-THEMED RECIPESCABOT® CHEESE ADDS GREAT TASTE TO AMERICA'S FAVORITE OUTDOOR SUMMER FUNJune
SUDBURY'S SCHWARTZ FAMILY WINS MENU MAKEOVER CONTEST AND VISIT FROM CELEBRITY CHEF JON ASHTONSCORE ONE FOR THE HOME TEAM WITH DELICIOUS TAILGATING RECIPES MADE FROM CABOT® CREAMERY CHEESEAugust
CABOT & MCCADAM MAKE STRONG APPEARANCES AT THE AMERICAN CHEESE SOCIETYWHEN IT COMES TO SCHOOL, THINK OUTSIDE THE LUNCHBOXJuly
CABOT CREAMERY SUPPORTS NATIONAL DAIRY MONTHCABOT® CREAMERY COOPERATIVE PRESENTS CHAKRA WINDOW TO THE COMPREHENSIVE BREAST CARE & ASESTHETICS INSTITUTEApril