Cabot, VT – (December 14, 2010): So many of us feel stressed this time of year. Life can reach a fever pitch during the holidays and expectations can run particularly high for New Year's Eve. This might be the perfect year for a more low-key celebration. A casual potluck gathering with close friends can take the pressure off everyone and is gentler on the wallet. That’s why Cabot Creamery Cooperative, best known as “Makers of the World’s Best Cheddar,” is providing two delicious and innovative recipes that are perfect for any New Year’s Eve get-together.
“New Year’s Eve is such a versatile Holiday because there are so many ways to celebrate,” says Candace Karu, Cabot Creamery’s Lifestyle Commentator and Favorite Foodie. “Here are a few ideas to help you have a happy, healthy New Year's Eve:
· If you're entertaining and are strapped for time to prepare hors d'oeuvres, a beautifully constructed cheese tray is easy and elegant. You can offer your guests a variety of cheeses, along with tasty accompaniments: fresh fruit like apples, pears, or grapes and dried fruits like apricots or cranberries pair beautifully with many kinds of cheese, as do nuts like almonds or hazelnuts. Add a crusty sliced baguette or an assortment of crackers and your ready for the countdown.
· No matter where you plan to party, it's always fun to play "Guess the Resolution." Have each guest write down his or her resolution and put it in a bowl. Read each resolution aloud and have everyone guess who might have made it.
· Will children be part of your New Year's Eve festivities? How about planning a special meal that everyone can help prepare? There are lots of great family-friendly recipes at http://www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes. Afterward, games like Scrabble or Pictionary or motion-control games like Wii or Kinect can help make it a party everyone will love.
· Make a playlist for your party and dance the night away or sing along to oldies or Broadway show tunes.
· If you do decide to go out, celebrate responsibly. Try to drink a glass of water between each cocktail. You'll feel better all night and wake up happier, too. Don't forget to designate a driver before the party starts.
· Not everyone's a night owl. Don't feel bad if you want to head off to bed early. Why not begin the New Year by taking the family for a run, walk or hike? Gathering at home for a celebratory brunch will add a festive air to the start of 2011.
“If you plan to pot-luck this year, Cabot has you covered with two unique and tasty recipes,” continues Candace. “For a new take on a perennial favorite, treat your guests to our savory, sweet and spicy Butternut Squash, Cranberry and Cabot Habanero Cheddar Wontons. Or, for a more traditional - and extremely delicious – finger food, try our Asparagus-Prosciutto Rolls with Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar Cheese. But most important, as you look around the room and see your family and friends enjoying the great food and holiday celebration, remember to count your blessings on the countdown to the New Year.”
For more New Year’s Eve inspired recipes for your next get-together, visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes.
1 small butternut squash
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4ounces Cabot Habanero Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
24 wonton skins
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut squash in half and remove seeds; sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
3. Place cut-side-up in baking dish. Add 2 cups water and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
4. Scoop about 3/4 cup of flesh into mixing bowl, reserving rest for another use. Stir in cheese and cranberries. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
5. Arrange wonton skins on work surface. Place about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in center of each. Brush two edges with water, fold in half to make triangle and press to seal.
6. In heavy saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees; fry wontons in batches until golden brown.
7. Remove from oil and transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with Sesame-Cranberry dipping sauce.
Sesame-Cranberry Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Stir together all ingredients.
Calories 281, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 531mg, Carbohydrates 45g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 9g, Calcium 111mg
12 asparagus spears
4 large (14- by 18-inch) sheets phyllo dough, thawed
12 thin slices prosciutto
12 thin slices Cabot Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Cheddar
4 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Have bowl of ice water on hand.
2. In pot of boiling, salted water, cook asparagus for one minute. Transfer to ice water with slotted spoon. Once cool, transfer to paper towels to drain; pat dry.
3. Lay first phyllo sheet on cutting board; brush entire surface with melted butter. Top with next phyllo sheet and brush with butter; repeat with remaining two sheets. Cut into 12 smaller rectangles.
4. Place one piece of prosciutto and cheddar on each rectangle. Place asparagus spears on top with tips extending beyond edges. Roll phyllo up around asparagus and brush with additional butter.
5. Place rolls on baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
Calories 227, Total Fat 16g, Saturated Fat 9g, Sodium 989mg, Carbohydrates 5g, Dietary Fiber <1g, Protein 15g, Calcium 202mg
NOTE TO EDITORS: To access and download hi-resolution photos of the recipe, visit:
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and we make a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, and butter. Best known as makers of “The World’s Best Cheddar,” Cabot is owned by 1200 dairy farm families located throughout New England and upstate New York. For additional information on Cabot Creamery, visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop
Help Cabot® Make It BIG… GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS® BIG For Food Bank For New York CityCabot® Creamery Sets New Guinness World Records® Achievement for World's Largest SmoothieCabot Creamery Cooperative Announces April's Reward Volunteer 3.0 WinnersCabot® Creamery Cooperative Announces 5-Day 'Running for Health' Menu PlannerApril
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Returns to LA for the 11th Annual Grilled Cheese InvitationalGiving Time During National Volunteer Month with Reward Volunteers 3.0March
Celebrating National Nutrition Month by Cutting Calories and Boosting FlavorCelebrate ‘The Luck Of The Irish’ with Fabulous Beer and Cheddar Pairings from Cabot® Creamery CooperativeCabot Creamery Cooperative to 'Reward Volunteers' Again in 2013February
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces November Reward Volunteers 2.0 WinnersMake Entertaining 'Light' This Holiday Season with Cabot Creamery's Delicious Light CheddarsNovember
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces October Reward Volunteers 2.0 WinnersTurkey Again? Yes, Please!October
Agri-Mark Honored as 2012 'Business of Distinction' by New York Dairy of Distinction OrganizationNew Benefit to "World's Best Cheddar": Cabot Creamery Cooperative Achieves B Corp CertificationCabot Creamery is "Golden" at "Summer Olympics" for CheeseCabot Creamery Cooperative to 'Reward Volunteers' Again with GustoJuly
2012 Community Tour Grand Finale Comes to Portland, Maine on Saturday July 7Cabot Creamery Cooperative Celebrates the United Nation's International Year of Cooperatives in Portland on July 7thReward Volunteers Mobile App Users Across the Nation Log Over 40,000 Hours of Community ServiceThe 2012 Cabot Community Tour Concludes with Huge Celebration in Portland, MaineJune
Just One More Round to Go! Cabot Creamery Cooperative Announces the Latest Round of Reward Volunteers WinnersSpartanburg, SC Eigth-Grader wins Cabot® Creamery Cooperative's Poetry ContestMay
Cabot Creamery Cooperative® Announces 2012 Community TourWe're Halfway There! Reward Volunteers Round Three Winner Announced by Cabot CreameryApril
Cabot® Creamery Cooperative is headed west for the 10th Annual Grilled Cheese InvitationalCabot® Creamery Cooperative creates ‘The Healthy Kitchen Helper’Cabot® Vermont Cheddar Named ‘World’s Best’Vermont's Blue Spruce Farm Wins National Award for Dairy Farm SustainabilityHere's A Super St. Paddy's Day Secret...Luck is Amplified By Doing Good!February
Make Your Holidays Ring with Farmer-Inspired Recipes From Cabot Creamery CooperativeAdd Some Flavor to Your Hanukkah Latkes This YearNovember
November is American Diabetes Month - Take Control of Your Diet with a 5-Day Menu Planner from Cabot Creamery CooperativeCabot Creamery Cooperative Spreads Holiday Joy with Farmer-Inspired Thanksgiving Day RecipesOctober
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Celebrates National S'mores Day with Classic Cheddar S'mores RecipeMake Back-to-School Easy by Planning Meals in AdvanceCabot Creamery Continues Legacy of Awards at American Cheese Society CompetitionJuly
SAY Soccer Partners With Cabot Creamery Cooperative To Provide Players, Parents With A Healthy Snack OptionJune
Father's Day Has Special Meaning on the Farm and in the Kitchen for Cabot Creamery DadsDeclare Your Independence - Add Some Fireworks to Your Fourth of July Recipes From Cabot Creamery CooperativeMay
Cabot Puts the Focus on National Women's Health Week and Celiac Awareness Month with Smart Recipes & Healthy IdeasApril
Write Your Own Haiku for National Grilled Cheese Month Win Great Cheddar CheeseCabot Releases 'OU Kosher for Passover' Sharp Cheddar Just in Time for the HolidayMarch
The Way To A Healthy Diet? Take It One Day At A TimeCabot Aged Cheddar is Seriously the Nation's BestJanuary
The Flavors Of HanukkahA New Take on New Year's Eve Parties'Lighten' Up With Delicious Cabot Winter Solstice RecipesNovember
Something Wickedly Delicious This Way ComesWinners of Cabot Creamery Cooperative's 'Feel Good Family Recipes' Contest AnnouncedSeptember
Cabot Creamery Cooperative Earns Four Blue Ribbons at American Cheese Society CompetitionDad's Got A Bun In The Oven, TooGain Yardage - Not Inches! Kick Off the Tailgate Sason with a Trim WaistCabot Creamery and Chef John Folse & Company Set Guinness World Record for Largest Mac & CheeseAugust
APRIL IS NATIONAL GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH MONTH!'FOURTH TRIMESTER' IS A CRITICAL TIME FOR NEW MOMS AND MOMS-TO-BEMarch
American Dietetic Association's National Nutrition Month® Helps You Focus On Healthy Eating All Year AroundCabot Clothbound Cheddar Honored As World's BestA Wee Bite O' The IrishPassover Meal Preparation Requires Time and Careful PlanningFebruary
Make Valentine's A Day-Long Day To RememberWinners Announced in Cabot® Creamery Cooperative's 'Butter Up The World' Poetry ContestJanuary
EATING WELL IS EASY AS A SUMMER BREEZE WHILE CAMPING, HIKING OR TOURING, WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEJuly
MAKE YOUR JULY 4TH CELEBRATION POP LIKE FIREWORKS WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEJune
CELEBRATE CINCO de MAYO IN STYLE WITH FESTIVE RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEWHAT DOES MOM WANT FOR MOTHER'S DAY? FOR STARTERS, BREAKFAST IN BED FEATURING DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVECABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE'S 'VERMONT TO VEGAS' ONLINE HEALTH AND FITNESS CHALLENGE IS A VIRTUAL BLASTGET OUTDOORS AND GRILL WITH MOUTH-WATERING RECIPES FROM CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVEMarch
NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH 2009TAKE THE GUESSWORK OUT OF PASSOVER MEAL PREPARATION WITH CABOT'S KOSHER SHARP CHEDDARFebruary
FEAST YOUR FAMILY OF FOUR - FOR LESS THAN $10CELEBRATE OSCAR NIGHT WITH THE CHEDDAR THAT RECENTLY WON THE OSCAR FOR TASTE AT THE U.S. CHEESE MAKERS COMPETITIONCABOT KOSHER CHEESE LINE EXPANDINGJanuary
CABOT HONORED FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS TO EDUCATIONCABOT® INTRODUCES 50% REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR WITH OMEGA-3 DHAAugust
PREPARING TO SEND YOUR CHILDREN OFF TO SCHOOL? HEALTHY BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND SNACK IDEAS FROM CABOT® CAN CONTRIBUTE TO A BETTER, MORE PRODUCTIVE SCHOOL YEARJuly
GO FOR THE GREAT-TASTE GOLD WITH CABOT® CHEESE OLYMPIC-THEMED RECIPESCABOT® CHEESE ADDS GREAT TASTE TO AMERICA'S FAVORITE OUTDOOR SUMMER FUNJune
SUDBURY'S SCHWARTZ FAMILY WINS MENU MAKEOVER CONTEST AND VISIT FROM CELEBRITY CHEF JON ASHTONSCORE ONE FOR THE HOME TEAM WITH DELICIOUS TAILGATING RECIPES MADE FROM CABOT® CREAMERY CHEESEAugust
CABOT & MCCADAM MAKE STRONG APPEARANCES AT THE AMERICAN CHEESE SOCIETYWHEN IT COMES TO SCHOOL, THINK OUTSIDE THE LUNCHBOXJuly
CABOT CREAMERY SUPPORTS NATIONAL DAIRY MONTHCABOT® CREAMERY COOPERATIVE PRESENTS CHAKRA WINDOW TO THE COMPREHENSIVE BREAST CARE & ASESTHETICS INSTITUTEApril