There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
Four (4- to 6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup Panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or wheat germ
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
3/4 cup marinara sauce
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Simple Swap: Chicken Parmesan can be super-high in fat and calories, but by slashing the amount of oil used for frying and switching to Cabot 50% Rreduced Fat Cheddar, this hearty family dinner can be enjoyed without the guilt.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place chicken breast halves between two pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper; pound with heavy pan or meat mallet until about 1/4-inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Place flour in shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg and water until well combined. In third bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan and flaxseed or wheat germ.
4. Working with one piece at a time, dredge both sides of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Then dip in egg, allowing excess to drip off, and finally dredge in breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
5. Heat about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and cook until golden on underside, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, turn chicken over and cook until golden on second side, about 2 minutes longer.
6. Transfer to baking sheet and top each chicken breast evenly with some of marinara sauce and cheddar. Bake until chicken is cooked through to center and cheese is melted, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.