There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
1/2-3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/2-3/4 cup skim milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice)
3 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
3 cups peeled and sliced Fuji apples
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 ounce Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about ¼ cup)
Optional garnish: sliced almonds and demerara or turbinado sugar
1. Place rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Add granulated sugar, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.
3. Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. In another small bowl, whisk egg until combined. Whisk in 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk and lemon juice. Stir egg-milk mixture into dry ingredients just until soft dough is formed, adding additional milk if needed.
5. In large bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Spread apple mixture in prepared dish and top with cheese.
6. Drop dough in large mounds on top of apples, spreading to edges. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and demerara or turbinado sugar if desired.
7. Bake in lower third of oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are bubbling and tender when pierced with knife (cover topping loosely with sheet of foil if browning too quickly).
Recipe courtesy of Bonnie Taub-Dix, RD, MA, CDN, author of Read It Before You Eat It.