There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
6 slices whole wheat bread
1 pound peeled baby carrots
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can juice-packed crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
5 large eggs
2 cups skim milk
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Toast bread slices in toaster or oven. Cut into cubes; transfer to large bowl and set aside.
3. Place carrots and 1 cup water in 8-cup glass measure; cover tightly and microwave on high power for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onion, garlic, marjoram, nutmeg and pepper and cook, stirring, for several minutes until tender.
5. Drain carrots thoroughly and coarsely chop. Stir into onion mixture, along with pineapple and cranberries or raisins. Add contents of skillet to reserved bowl of bread cubes, mixing well.
6. In empty 8-cup measure, whisk eggs until frothy, then whisk in milk. Spoon half of bread mixture into prepared baking dish. Top evenly with half of cheese and half of walnuts. Top with remaining bread mixture, then remaining cheese and walnuts.
7. Pour milk mixture evenly over top; press down gently. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes.
8. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Recipe courtesy of Annie Watts, Home Economist and Culinary Consultant.