1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
8 medium skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
8 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
4 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated* (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup Cabot Light Sour Cream
Steamed fresh broccoli
1. Place oven racks in middle and upper position and preheat oven to 375°F. Place raw rice in 8-inch-square or similar size baking dish and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add water and salt to saucepan and bring to boil.
3. Stir to dissolve salt and pour over rice in reserved dish. Cover dish tightly with foil.
4. Place in oven on middle rack and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place chicken thighs on baking sheet with sides. Brush each thigh lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Top each thigh with thyme sprig or sprinkle with dried thyme leaves.
6. When rice has baked for 45 minutes, place chicken in oven above rice on top rack.
7. Continue baking rice for 15 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
8. Leaving chicken in oven, remove rice. Uncover dish and spoon half of rice into a bowl to set aside for Chicken Tortilla Pie. Stir cheddar and sour cream into rice remaining in dish.
9. Recover loosely with foil, return to oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through to center and rice is heated through. Set half of thighs aside for Chicken Tortilla Pie.
10. Serve remaining thighs with steamed broccoli, either on the side or mixed into the creamy rice.
Calories 618, Total Fat 36.5g, Saturated Fat 13.5g, Sodium 703mg, Carbohydrates 31g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 41.5g, Calcium 272mg