Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Chipotle Cheddar, Cabot Habanero Cheddar, Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar or Cabot Pepper Jack, grated (about 3/4 cup), plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or cilantro
2 large red bell peppers
4 large eggs
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
To make in microwave:
1. In small bowl, toss together onions, garlic and oil; cover loosely with saucer or plastic wrap and microwave on high power (100%) for 1 minute. Stir, then recover and microwave for 1 minute longer or until onions are softened. Let cool slightly, then stir in cheese and parsley or cilantro and set aside.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Pull out and discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers cut-side-up in 8-inch square or similar baking dish, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power until just tender but not collapsed, about 5 minutes.
3. Invert peppers onto piece of paper towel to drain, and pour off any liquid from baking dish. Return peppers to dish, propping up along sides to keep level if necessary.
4. Divide cheese mixture among peppers, pressing it up sides to create hollow for egg in center of each. Break an egg into each pepper. Gently pierce each egg yolk in 2 places with tip of paring knife. Season tops with salt and
black pepper. Loosely cover with piece of plastic wrap.
5. Microwave on medium-high power (70%), checking periodically, until eggs are cooked the way you like them, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with a little more cheese and let stand for a minute or two before serving.
To make in oven:
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. In small skillet over medium heat, combine onions, garlic and oil; stir over medium heat for several minutes until onions are tender. Scrape into small bowl; once slightly cooled, stir in cheese and parsley or cilantro.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Pull out and discard seeds and membranes. Cook peppers in large pan of boiling water until just tender but not collapsed, about 6 minutes. Drain well.
3. Place peppers cut-side up in 8-inch square or similar baking dish. Let cool slightly.
4. Divide cheese mixture among peppers, pressing it up sides to create hollow for egg in center of each. Break an egg into each pepper. Season tops with salt and black pepper.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until eggs are cooked the way you like them. Sprinkle with a little more cheese and serve.