Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup uncooked “old-fashioned” oats (not “quick”)
2 sticks Cabot Salted Butter
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup wheat germ
3 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
1. Bring beef broth to boil.
2. Place oats and butter in large bowl and pour hot broth over them; let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300°F. Grease two large baking sheets.
4. Stir cheese, powdered milk, egg and salt into oat mixture. Add cornmeal and wheat germ and mix well. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make very stiff dough. Pat or roll dough into 1/2-inch thickness.
6. Cut into desired shapes and arrange on prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 1 1/2 hours or longer for desired crunchiness.
Courtesy of Prince William County SPCA