Owned by our farm families in New York & New England — Since 1919
There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced red onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 large bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and torn into pieces (about 3 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 cups 1-inch cubes of bakery-style whole grain bread (about 1 large loaf)
6 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
3 cups skim milk
6 large eggs
1. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onions, mushrooms and red peppers and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes longer. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in thyme, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and nutmeg; remove from heat and set aside.
3. Place half of bread cubes in even layer in baking dish, then top with half of vegetable mixture and half of cheese. Add remaining bread cubes, then remaining vegetables and cheese.
4. In large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread, vegetables and cheese in baking dish. Cover with foil and press down slightly to help egg mixture soak into bread. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden brown on top and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.