There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1/2 (13.25-ounce package) uncooked whole-grain medium pasta shells (2 1/2 cups)
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped broccoli or zucchini
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard or garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups skim milk
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups), divided
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 8- or 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Cook shells according to package directions; drain and set aside.
3. Toast bread in toaster or oven until crisp; process or crush into fine crumbs and set aside.
4. Heat oil or butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add bell pepper, broccoli or zucchini and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Stir in flour and seasonings until vegetables are coated. Whisk in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat.
6. Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese, adding remaining 1 1/2 cups to milk mixture; stir until melted, then stir in cooked shells.
7. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Combine reserved cheese and crumbs and sprinkle evenly over top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Annie Watts, Home Economist and Culinary Consultant.