French toast and grilled cheese with a Vermont kick - yum! on 04/03/2012
I would use Vermont Bread Company's Vermont Sweet for the bread it has maple syrup in it, so I think it would enhance the taste of the sandwich on 04/10/2012
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
4 slices favorite local bread, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter, divided
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
1 whole shallot or very small onion, julienned or thinly sliced
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
2 large cooked sausage patties or thick slices ham
1. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half and vanilla. Add bread slices, turning to coat with mixture, and set aside to soak.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in small skillet over medium-high heat; add apple slices and shallot or onion and cook until tender. Add vinegar and cook for one minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Melt remaining butter in large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Remove bread slices from egg mixture (discard remaining egg mixture) and cook in skillet for about two minutes on each side.
4. Layer cheese, sausage or ham and apple mixture evenly over two of bread slices. Top with remaining two bread slices.
5. Cook for one minute or until golden on underside. Turn sandwiches over and cook for one minute longer, or until sandwich is golden on second side and cheese is melted. Cut in half and serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Kennedy.