There are no reviews for this recipe yet...
1 large egg
1/4 cup beer or milk
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
12 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar*, grated (about 3 cups)
4 thick slices hearty bread
Optional additions: fresh tomato slices and/or crisp bacon strips
1. In small bowl, whisk egg until frothy and yolk and white are completely combined; set aside.
2. In bowl set over pan of simmering water or in double boiler, combine beer or milk, butter, mustard and cayenne.
3. When butter is melted, gradually whisk in cheese and continue stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
4. Whisk in beaten egg and continue stirring for several minutes until mixture has thickened again (do not allow it to boil or it will separate).
5. Meanwhile, toast bread. Top each toast with tomato and bacon, if desired, and spoon rarebit over the top.
*Substitute tangy Horseradish Cheddar for part of the cheese.