Summer is in full swing and like all seasons, it has its pros and cons. On the plus side, it stays light longer, the weather is generally nicer and there are more opportunities to get outside and be active. On the other hand, it’s hot. That means you might not be looking forward to your workouts turning you into a sweaty mess and you probably don’t feel like turning on the oven and spending a lot of time in the kitchen.Check out the @cabotcheese blog for 5 ways to upgrade summer fitness! http://ow.ly/PfE4G #CabotFit Click To Tweet
Have no fear – We understand what you’re going through. We put together five simple tips to help you upgrade your summer fitness:
Start your day with a balanced breakfast.
- Many people experience schedule changes during the summer months, which can lead to skipped meals and strange eating schedules. Be sure to always start your day with a healthy, balanced breakfast that includes some protein (like eggs, nut butters, Greek-style yogurt or cheese) to keep you full and add in some complex carbs (like whole-grain breads, cereals or granola) for energy.
Add extra veggies.
- Summer is the perfect time to up your veggie intake. Head to the farmer’s market and pick up some fresh local veggies to add to your meals and snacks.
Choose no-cook meals or use the grill.
- When it’s too hot to cook in the kitchen, shift your focus to simple meals that require little to no cooking. Or take the heat outside and fire up the grill.
Schedule your workouts.
- Schedule your workouts into your day so you’re more likely to complete them and be smart about the timing. If you’re exercising outside, stick to early morning or late evening hours to help beat the heat.
Move more & hydrate.
- Summer is the perfect time to get outside and be active. Make an effort to explore your city with your family and choose activities that will get you up and moving. Be sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated in the summer heat.
Follow these tips to help you stay fit, active and healthy all summer long. Also be sure to check out our Cabot Fit Team – a handpicked group of health and fitness bloggers that are helping Cabot spread the word about the importance of wellness through nutrition and exercise. Check out their blogs for tips, workouts and recipe inspiration:
Simple recipes are a must in the summer. No one wants to spend hours cooking in the kitchen in the summer heat. Try these recipes to stay healthy and cool:
Brianne Izzo – cupcakesandkalechips.com
After a frigid winter, plus the incentive of bathing suit season and the TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race I am running with Cabot Fit Team, you’d think I’d be up every morning ready to work out. But the heat and two busy little boys make it a challenge. To upgrade my summer fitness, I get my training runs in before my little guys are awake and the sun is blazing, and I make exercise part of our life – bike rides, swimming, walks to the park (where I squeeze in a strength training while the boys play). I also count on cool, healthy and protein-packed breakfasts and snacks to keep my energy up and temperature down, like Raspberry Mocha Latte Overnight Oats or Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Popsicles.
If you would like to learn more about Cabot Creamery Cooperative or find more delicious recipes for your next meal, click here. You can also sign-up for our Newsletters so that you don’t miss a thing.