Although the science is relatively new and still emerging, many people believe that following a gluten-free diet may help with a variety of issues ranging from digestive problems to skin conditions to overall inflammation. While there are numerous reasons people choose to eat a gluten-free diet (from medical necessity to personal preference), most would agree on one thing. Going gluten-free means more opportunity to enjoy dishes cooked in your own kitchen.Going #glutenfree? Whatever the reason, @cabotcheese has tips and techniques for cooking gluten-free at home Click To Tweet
Understanding and mastering gluten-free cooking techniques is key to enjoying the tastiest (and healthiest) gluten-free dishes. Here are a few tips to make gluten-free cooking and baking as easy as possible:
Experiment with different flours
- You may have to use a combination of several flours to achieve a similar result to using traditional wheat flour. Some gluten-free flours, like bean flours, may have too strong of a taste to substitute in certain recipes. Learning what works best might involve some trial and error, so be patient.
- Many gluten-free baking experts recommend starting by combining 50% of a sturdy flour (such as garbanzo, brown rice or sorghum) with 50% of a starchy flour (like tapioca, potato starch or arrowroot).
- The good news is that there are some wonderful “multi-purpose” gluten-free flour blends on the market that are already mixed for you like this one from our friends at King Arthur Flour.
Rely on simple, gluten-free recipes
- Eliminating gluten from your diet can often feel overwhelming. One of the best ways to avoid this is to identify dishes you already know and love that are naturally gluten-free, such as Greek yogurt fruit parfaits or dips with veggies, egg and cheese omelets & frittatas, grilled meats with veggies slaws and salsas
Keep it simple.
- The fruits, vegetables, fresh meats and fish, milk, yogurt and cheese you already enjoy daily are all naturally gluten-free. Living a healthy & tasty gluten-free lifestyle doesn’t have to mean buying a lot of “special” products. Identify a brand of pasta, bread and possibly some wraps or crackers you enjoy. You’ll be living a tasty, gluten-free lifestyle in no time.
These simple recipes will show you that gluten-free eating doesn’t have to be boring or complicated!
Cabot Cheese Board Member, Marlow Ravelli of Gluten Hates Me knows a thing or two about gluten-free snacking, and as a new mom, those snacks have to be easy to prepare. Fresh fruits and veggies are always a perfect choice and rumor has it that Marlow’s BLT Ranch Pasta Salad has been served (and loved) as a snack many a time. Try her Pepperoni Pizza Puffs or Cheesy Cabot Quinoa Bites for some utensil-free crowd pleasers.
Don’t forget to vote for Cabot Creamery in the USA Today Best Favorite Food Factory Tour! Our farmer owners appreciate the support. If you haven’t ever visited us in Vermont for the tour, you can learn more about it by clicking here.
If you would like to learn more about Cabot Creamery Cooperative or find more delicious gluten-free recipes for your next meal, click here. You can also sign-up for our Newsletters so that you don’t miss a thing.