Adult coloring books were a wildly popular trend in 2015 and make for a great gift this holiday season, even more so when it contains recipes. The Meal Makeover Moms share with us a recipe and important tips for making delicious smoothie bowls at home!
Nutrient-packed smoothie bowls come in various flavors and colors including purple, green, orange, yellow, and chocolate brown but their texture is always the same: thicker than a drinkable smoothie but thinner than pudding. They’re meant to be consumed with a spoon, and the topping options are endless — nuts, fruit, seeds, coconut, and crushed Graham crackers.
Simple ingredients create a rich and delicious smoothie bowl!
We love the playfulness of smoothie bowls so much that we decided to create an e-cookbook filled with our favorite bowls. But we didn’t stop there. To piggyback on the adult coloring book craze, we also decided to add whimsical Mandala coloring designs to every recipe page in the book. We hope our first-of-its-kind coloring cookbook will inspire your inner chef … and your inner artist!Get a free copy of the @MealMakeovrMoms Smoothie Bowl Coloring Cookbook featuring @CabotCheese Greek-style… Click To Tweet
We use Cabot Lowfat Vanilla Bean Greek-style yogurt in many of our smoothie bowl recipes to add flavor, nutrients, and thickening power. Cabot was the perfect partner for this project, and their vanilla Greek yogurt was the perfect ingredient in our Pretty Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl.
Pretty Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
Pumpkin is bursting with immune boosting vitamin A, and when it’s added to this orange-hued smoothie bowl, it brings a burst of big flavors to every spoonful. The luscious Greek-style yogurt adds creaminess along with good quality protein, vitamin D, vitamin A, and 20% of your daily calcium needs.
Makes 2 to 3 servings
- 3/4 cup Cabot Lowfat Vanilla Bean Greek-style yogurt
- 2 sliced and frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup frozen sliced peaches
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Toppings: Diced or sliced apples, toasted pumpkin seeds, banana, pumpkin pie spice, yogurt
- Place the yogurt, bananas, pumpkin, peaches, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into individual bowls and garnish with your choice of optional toppings.
Per Serving (3/4 cup):
Today Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Vitamin A: 130%
Vitamin C: 60%
Smoothie Bowl Basics: Here’s what we used when blending up smoothie bowl recipes for the Smoothie Bowl Coloring Cookbook.
Equipment – Blender, bowls, spoons
Blender Ingredients – Use less liquid than a traditional smoothie
- Liquid: milk, 100% fruit juice or vegetable juice.
- Fruits and/or Vegetables: Frozen banana, strawberries, mango, pineapple, peaches, blueberries, raspberries, baby spinach, kale, pumpkin puree, roasted beets.
- Good Fats: Peanut butter, avocado, whole milk or 2% yogurt. (You need fat in your diet to absorb all the great nutrients from fruits and veggies.)
- Thickeners: Chia seeds, Greek-style yogurt, frozen fruit, banana.
- Protein: Milk, yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, protein powder.
- Topping Ingredients – Whole grain cereal, nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, coconut chips, fresh fruit, dried fruit, crumbled graham crackers
Download a free copy of our Smoothie Bowl Coloring Cookbook for more nutrient-rich smoothie bowl recipes. Don’t forget to break out your crayons or colored pencils and have some fun!
To learn more about smoothie bowls tune into our COOKING WITH THE MOMS radio podcast (Episode #270).
By: The Meal Makeover Moms
Janice Newell Bissex, MD, RDN and Liz Weiss, MS, RDN are registered dietitians, cookbook authors, and The Meal Makeover Moms. Follow them on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen Blog
If you would like to learn more about Cabot Creamery Cooperative, get more delicious recipes, or take a virtual tour of some of our 1,200 farm families, click here. If you find a recipe that you love on our site, please rate and review it – we appreciate your feedback!
You can also sign-up for our Newsletters so that you don’t miss a thing.