Our skillet-sized lactose free rosti – a shredded potato pancake – made with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, ham and fresh asparagus makes a perfectly portioned family meal ideal for lunch, brunch or a light dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, such as Yukon gold, shredded (4 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced asparagus
- 1 cup diced ham (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar (about 1 cup)
- Place potatoes in a colander and squeeze excess moisture from them. Blot with paper towels. Toss potatoes, asparagus, ham, shallot, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until the oil is shimmering but not smoking. Add potato mixture, and spread out into an even layer. Cook undisturbed until the bottom of the potato is browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat. Run a spatula around rosti to make sure it is completely loose in the skillet. Invert a large flat platter or un-rimmed baking sheet over the skillet and grasp together with oven mitts. Flip rosti onto the platter or baking sheet.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet and place over medium-high heat. Slide the rosti into the skillet, return to the heat and sprinkle with the cheddar. Continue cooking, adjusting heat down to medium-low as necessary to prevent burning. Cook until the bottom is browned and the potato is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.