This meatless pair of budget-friendly suppers is inspired by the rich flavor and texture of eggplant.
On day one, make easy, hearty Eggplant & Chickpea Stew with Cheddar Dumplings.
Once you’ve cut up the eggplant, onions and garlic, most of the work is out of the way. Sauté the veggies till they’re tender, then throw them in the oven with chickpeas and tomatoes to simmer slowly and evenly, the very best way to cook any stew.
When the stew is almost done, set part of it aside for the next days supper, and add frozen corn and Tex-Mex spices to the rest. Mix up the quick batter for golden cheddar and cornmeal dumplings, plop it on top of the stew and send it back to the oven for 15 more minutes. Yum.
Day Two supper of Eggplant & Cheddar Lasagna is amazingly effortless. Stir in some chopped Italian parsley and dried oregano to the reserved eggplant mixture, then layer it with grated Cabot cheddar and no boil lasagna noodles that require no pre-cooking. Into the oven for 45 minutes and the tender, cheesy and delicious baked pasta is ready to serve.
- 2 large eggplant (2 1/2-3 pounds total)
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- 1 bunch Italian parsley (1/3 cup chopped needed)
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil (3 tablespoons needed)
- 1 package no-boil lasagna noodles (8 needed)
- Frozen corn (1 cup needed)
- All-purpose flour (3/4 cup needed)
- Yellow cornmeal (1/4 cup needed)
- Baking powder (1 teaspoon needed)
- Mild chili powder (1 tablespoon needed)
- Ground cumin (1 teaspoon needed)
- Dried oregano (2 teaspoons needed)
- Milk (1/4 cup needed)
- 1 large egg
- 11 ounces Cabot Sharp Lite50 Cheddar, Cabot Sharp Cheddar, or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- Cooking spray