Family Friendly Menu Planner
This meal plan offers five nutritious, simple kid-approved weeknight recipes, side dish recommendations, and a shopping list.
This 5-day family-friendly meal plan and shopping list serves up five nights of kid-tested meal suggestions. Each featured recipe is less than 650 calories per serving, limits fat and saturated fat, offers at least 20 grams of protein per serving, and is relatively quick to make. Add on your favorite side dishes and seasonable vegetables and you’ll be ready for a full five days of kid-approved weeknight dinners! A shopping list is included for all featured recipes in this plan.
Entree: Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 372 calories, 6.5g sat fat (33%DV), 27% calories from fat, 21.5g protein
Pairing Suggestion: A crisp green, lightly-steamed veggie such as snap peas or green beans. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
Entree: Ham & Mushroom Pizza Bake
- 222 calories, 3.5g sat fat (18%DV), 36% calories from fat, 16g protein
Pairing Suggestion: A simple Caesar salad made with romaine, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, optional croutons, and topped with Caesar dressing.
Entree: “Not Fried” Chicken Nuggets
- 215 calories, 1g sat fat (5%DV), 19% calories from fat, 29g protein
Pairing Suggestion: Honey for dipping, a side of quinoa, and steamed broccoli topped with a little cheese.
Entree: Cheddar Corn Cakes with Pulled Pork
- 633 cal, 7g sat fat (35%DV), 25% cal from fat, 46.5g protein
Pairing Suggestion: Shredded or thinly sliced cabbage and carrots, topped with your favorite slaw sauce.
Entree: Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- 337 calories, 4g sat fat (20%DV), 25% calories from fat, 28.5g protein
Pairing Suggestion: Shredded lettuce, fat-free refried beans, and sour cream to complete this delicious meal.
Shopping List: Family Friendly
Fresh Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs
- Fresh tomatoes – 3
- Mushrooms, fresh, sliced – 1 (8-ounce) Package
- Onion – 1 Small
Grains, Breads, Pastas
- Corn flakes (or Corn Chex) – 4 Cups
- Cornmeal, yellow – ¾ Cup
- Dreamfields Elbows – 1 Box
- Whole grain or flour tortillas – 8 (6-inch) Tortillas
- Cabot 2% Plain Greek Style Yogurt – 1 Cup
- Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar – 10 Ounces
- Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar – 10 Ounces
- Cabot Light Sour Cream – 1 Cup
- Favorite Cabot Cheddar (try Chipotle, Habanero, Extra Sharp, or Jalapeno Light – 4 Ounces
- Low-fat (1%) milk – ¾ Cup (note: skim or fat-free milk called for in another recipe; could adjust to all fat-free milk)
- Skim (fat-free) milk – ½ Cup
Meats, Fish and Poultry
- Chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless – 3 large (1 ½ pounds)
- Chicken breast – 2 Cups cubed cooked, or ¾ pound raw skinless, boneless chicken breast (to be cooked before assembling dish) Note: if buying all chicken breast raw, 2 ¼ pounds total needed.
- Shredded pork – 4 Cups
- Barbecue sauce – 1 Cup
- Bisquick Pancake and Baking Mix – ¾ Cup
- Black beans, canned, no-salt-added – 1 Can
- Enchilada sauce – 1 (10-ounce) Can
- Green chiles, diced, canned – 1 (4-ounce) Can
- Honey or favorite dipping sauce – 2 Cups
- Marinara sauce – 2 Cups
- Prepared alfredo sauce – 1 Cup
- Refrigerated breadstick dough – 1 Package
You will also need these items from your pantry: Cooking spray, cumin, black pepper, red pepper (cayenne), salt.