Supper number one features easy homemade meatballs, gently simmered in your favorite marinara sauce, then spooned over a mound of golden cheddar polenta.
Instant cornmeal polenta is the secret- mix in a little to bind the meatballs, then cook up a batch with cheddar and baby spinach (in three minutes!) to serve instead of the usual pasta. (See recipe for substituting regular polenta.)
Take the extra meatballs in a Southwesterly direction for supper number two. Buy an already-baked whole wheat pizza crust (or roll out a pound of purchased whole-wheat pizza dough no need to pre-bake).
Spread on more marinara sauce accented with chili powder and cumin. Add quick-roasted onions and peppers, sliced meatballs, frozen corn and flavorful Cabot cheddar. Its a great change from the usual pizza, and perfect with a simple salad of more baby spinach dressed with olive oil and lemon.
- 1 red onion
- 1 large red or green bell pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach or arugula
- Garlic (need 1 teaspoon minced)
- Frozen corn kernels (need 1/2 cup)
- Instant (quick-cooking) polenta (need 1 1/4 cups)
- Pre-baked 12-to-14-inch whole-wheat pizza crust or 1 pound pizza dough
- Dried oregano and thyme leaves (need 1 teaspoon of each)
- Chili powder (need 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- Ground cumin (need 1/2 teaspoon)
- Olive oil (need 2 teaspoons)
- Marinara sauce (need about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground round beef
- 1 large egg
- 2% milk (need 1/3 cup)
- Cabot Mild Cheddar, Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Light Sharp Cheddar (about 4 ounces)
- Cabot Chipotle Cheddar, Cabot Habanero Cheddar, Cabot Light Pepper Jack, Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Pepper Jack (about 3 ounces)