Perfect for brunch or a light dinner, our rich and cheesy quiche is filled with fresh vegetables like asparagus and mushrooms and layered with a good-for-you, whole-grain crust.
- 1 cup uncooked amaranth, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup asparagus sliced on diagonal into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
- 6 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar or Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
To make crust:
- In small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to simmer; add amaranth, cover pan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed.
- In another small saucepan, combine bulgur with 1 cup water; bring to simmer, cover pan and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Combine amaranth and bulgur in bowl; add butter and salt, stirring until butter is melted and blended. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then mix in milk. 4.Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Press about two-thirds of mixture over bottom and up sides of ungreased 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish. (Reserve remainder for breakfast porridge the next day, to serve topped with chopped fruit and nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.)
- Bake crust for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.
To make filling and finish quiche:
- Reduce oven temperature to 400ºF.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat; add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and chives.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy; add milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if using, whisking to combine.
- Sprinkle half of cheese in crust. Top with vegetables. Pour egg mixture on top, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until custard is set and cheese is golden. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.